I'm reading Rob Bell's "Velvet Elvis" right now, and liking it a lot. He talks about needing to die to being Superpastor, because Superpastor was a lie who needed everyone's approval to be OK. Although nobody had told him this explicitly, Superpastor was some grandiose image of a person who isn't actually human. Some Platonic Ideal or something...

Anyways, here's his encouragement to you me, and anyone struggling to be our internalized Superwhatevers:
I meet so many people who have Superwhatever rattling around in their head. They have this person that they are convinced they are supposed to be, and their Superwhatever is killing them. They have this image they picked up over the years of how they are supposed to look and act and work and play and talk, and it's like a voice that never stops shouting in their ear

And the only way to not be killed by it is to shoot first.

Yes, that is what I meant to write.

You have to kill your Superwhatever.

And you have to do it right now.

Because your Superwhatever will rob you of today and tomorrow and the next day until you take it out back and end its life.

Go do it.

The book will be here when you get back.
My prayer for whoever may be reading this is this: Kill your idealized notion of who you should be. Be a follower of Jesus. He deals with broken people, not Superpeople. He deals with you and me.

Jesus, kill my SuperMatt.