I'd like to point people's attention to Rob McAlpine's Post-Charismatic Project. It is an invaluable resource for understanding the history and doctrines that have underpinned and often caused many problems for those who would pursue a life filled with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.

Many of you may not be aware of this, but one of the Vineyard's distinctives is that it has attempted to fuse evangelical theology and charismatic practice. But this proves to be a hard path to follow, particularly because a lot of evangelical practice and charismatic theology conflict with the afforementioned attempt.

Frankly, this is one of the reasons that the recent influence of IHOP on WCV has caused some friction. IHOP's theology is sometimes difficult to reconcile to us who are more evangelical in their theology. If you happen to read the project entirely--which I highly recommend--you will get a much better historical context for why some (not all) of IHOP's emphases can be troubling. Specifically, you will see that Mike Bickle and the Vineyard have a history of divergent theology and practice.

Please do not take this to mean that I'm at odds with the people in our community who feel called to start the Sanctuary HOP. One of the great things I've seen is that Mike Bickle and the Vineyard have generally maintained a spirit of brotherly love towards each other while definitely disagreeing about certain things. I hope that we too can maintain that spirit.

Furthermore, as I've gotten to know the heart behind the desire to set up the SHOP, I'm all for it. I think that we need to pray more, not less, for our city. I believe that this could be an incredible blessing on our city and a possible avenue for God to wake us from our apathy. I don't like everything about the package, but I love what's in it.